Add to Cart OR Buy Now?
If you look at what top etailers are using as text on the action buttons (thanks to ) you will find it obvious that the right call to action to be used on this type of buttons should be Add to Cart.
|Button Text||Button Graphics|
|Add to Cart||58.0%||None||48.2%|
|Add to Bag||9.8%||Arrows||17.9%|
|Add to Shopping Bag||9.8%||Cart||14.3%|
|Add to Basket||6.3%||Shopping Bag||7.1%|
|Add to Shopping Cart||4.5%||Plus Sign||5.4%|
|Add Item(s) to Cart||1.8%|
|Add Item(s) to Bag||0.9%|
|Add to My Bag||0.9%|
|Add to My Brown Bag||0.9%|
|Add to My Shopping Cart||0.9%|
Source: Get Elastic-The Ecommerce Blog
But, like any other elements of your website (and especially with call to actions), it will be better if this button can look/display different texts based on your business rules and customers’ expectations. It should persuade them to take different actions in different places based on your business objectives.
Let’s analyze a little bit more in detail on this two call to actions.
Add to Cart
- It somehow impliest that the buying process does not starts by clicking on the button
- It is not very imperative
- It creates the subliminal idea of a cart (you don’t use a shopping cart to buy one product)
- It’s very strong and imperative
- It suggests that once you click on it you will start the checkout process
- It suggests somehow an emergency
1. If you wish to increase your average items per order, use the “Add to Cart” button.
2. Analyze your average order value, also. Does the visitor meet your desired value? If so, make him start the checkout process by switching to a Buy Now button.
3. If you have a reliable data about your average order size and for years that number was 1.1 items/order you should use Buy Now and not Add to Cart.
In the next post I will give a great tip for those trying to improve the conversion rates of their websites about dynamic buttons’ text (changing the text button on the fly), so stay tuned.
Pitstop Media offers ROI based internet marketing services such as landing page testing services and conversion rate optimization services. Our A/B and multivariate tests have helped companies increase conversion rates by as much as 75%. Let us increase your conversion rates, too!